Thursday, December 15, 2011

Can I charge more than my credit limit on my credit card if I have a credit on my account?

My credit limit is $5,000. If I send $10,000 to my credit card, can I charge more than $5,000 to my credit card without incurring any additional fees or charges?





I know there's going to be someone on here that says something to the effect of, "y dont u jst snd 500 dolars 2 th ppl u r goin 2 pay w/ ur cc? lolzorz". The answer is because I'm going to do no-interest balance transfers to my credit card, and I can't directly access that money without incurring fees.





Personal experience would be preferred, but anyone that knows for certain would be great to hear from.





Thanks!|||I am doing the same thing you are, and you WILL get charged over the limit fees and it could possibly increase your so called 0% APR for going over the limit, watch out! Read the fine print, all offers are different.|||It depends on the card company.





I've had some cards where they just kept the money (and my credit limit stayed the same), but they applied all future charges as a credits.





I've had other cards, where once they applied the current charges, they sent me the overage amount back!





Each card is different.|||You will also see a drop in credit score. One your credit reeport the balance and high limit is reported. Anytime you go over the hiogh limit your score plummets! Get 2 $5000 credit cards instead!|||Even if they did allow this (which I cannot say if they will or not) it will hurt your credit score...anytime you go over 50% of your available credit (the $10,000 would not actually increase your credit line) your score takes a big hit. So I would suggest just paying the debts with the cash you have, why put it on a card if you have the money, it makes no sense!|||why dont you just discontinue blowing money with credit cards and use western union debit card instead? do you just enjoy blowing money?|||Yes - the credit limit means how high your balance can go, but if you have a credit balance going into the month, then you could charge up to your credit limit plus the credit balance without your balance going over the limit to incur extra fees.





An easier way might be to call them and ask them to raise your limit - if you have a good record with them, they probably will. If this is a new card, then they probably wouldn't. But if you have the money to send to the new card, you could just send some of it to the old card company instead of transferring that balance. It really does work out the same - do the math.|||They cannot keep your money. They will send the excess money right back to you.





The best thing to do is to call the credit card company and know for sure.|||Have you called the credit card company to request a credit line increase? That would probably be the best way to go. I think even if you send them extra, if you go over your limit, they will still charge you an over limit fee. Best to call them to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment