Thursday, December 15, 2011

What happens if you charge more than your credit limit?

I have a BB%26amp;T credit card with a $500 limit. I charged a Dell computer on it last night, which cost about $550. The order went through and everything, but I'm not sure what to expect. I'm trying to contact the bank. What will happen? Will Dell be gracious and just charge me twice, after I've paid the initial $500? Do I do jail time? Are they gonna get me? WHAT|||The credit card company don't want you in jail, they just want your money.





BB%26amp;T will most likely chare you an 'over the limit' fee. I'd call the number on the back of the card, speak to customer service, and see if they'll raise your limit (and possibly take off the penalty for going over the limit).





It never hurts to ask.|||No they let you go over. Likely today if you used it it wouldn't work and the interest rate will be high -





I have a business card and charged over the limit to get an order in - and it worked.


But the bill to pay was ouch, hot and you can't use the card again until it's under $500.|||You will be charged an astronomical fee, maybe as high as $35 for going over limit. They will probably raise the interest rate that you are paying. And it will have a negative impact on your credit score. I would continue to try to contact the bank and see if you can send a check immediately for the difference and if they will wave the over the limit fee. Explain that it was a mistake and see if you can smooth things over.|||u will get a fee|||Since the credit card company approved the transaction, you're covered with Dell. They'll never be the wiser.





BUT your credit card company will charge you an "over-limit fee", which is typically anywhere between $30 and $50. They'll do that any month in which your balance is greater than your credit limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment