Thursday, December 8, 2011

Help! Credit limit reduced without notice and fly to canada on Sat need to rent a car?

Hi all I have had my credit limit on my card reduced without warning so there is not enough credit left to pay for the renal i have in Nova Scotia on Saturday. I have 2 small children and am really worried about getting stranded. I can make a payment to my card tomorrow to up the limit but will it transfer in time. HELP! Renting from Halifax airport Nova Scotia using Enterprise. I have cash and Debit card.|||Call your credit card company's Credit Card Services bureau. The toll-free number is almost always on the back of the card.





Just explain the situation, that you are going on a trip to Nova Scotia and need your credit limit increased. You can ask them why the credit limit was reduced if you do not know why. It's odd because I have never seen a limit reduced without warning. They only ever increase my limit (which I don't want), and I end up having to phone them to tell them to set it back down.





If they do not agree to increase your limit permanently, then you can ask them if it is possible to temporarily increase the limit for the duration of the trip, or just for the current month.





And of course, they can also pre-approve certain purchases for you. When I was having my car repainted and had $4000 to put on a card, I called them in advance and warned them that I would be making a pretty significant charge on my card. They were actually really pleased that I called to let them know, and it prevented having to make an embarassing call to their offices if/when my card would have been rejected.





By the way, have you ever considered overpaying your credit card? If you have cash in a bank account, and pay your credit card bills online, you can pay them MORE than what is owed. For example, say my Mastercard has a $1000 limit and I owe $285.00 on it. I have $5000 in a savings or checking account. So what I do today, I do an online bank payment from the savings account to my Mastercard of $1285.00 and voila! By Saturday (allow 1 business day for payments to complete), I now have a credit card with a $2000 limit instead. (Technically its a $1000 debit card and $1000 credit, but works out the same in the eyes of the hotel and car rental agencies...)

No comments:

Post a Comment